90 day internship program
SCROLL TO CONTINUE
Running a Small Business in a Creative Field
90 day internship program
Jenny DeMarco Photography hires 2-3 qualified candidates each semester to be a part of her highly sought after internship program that teaches students about running a small business in a creative field.
Creatives who wish to be small business entrepreneurs must have the skills to wear many hats. As the owners – we are the marketing department, the public relations firm, the accountants, the managers and most importantly – the creative team! This internship program focuses on this very important side of being in business in the creative world and the unique rewards and challenges that it has to offer.
Without a solid foundation in business, even the most creative talents fail.
Let's not strive to be starving artists – but artist who aim to sustain a livelihood while pursuing their creative work. Applicants do NOT need any photographic knowledge to apply, just an interest in the wedding industry, photography, creative arts, marketing or boutique businesses is all that is needed. Students receive hands-on experience in the wedding and photography industry in the following areas:
*timeline creation and strategies
*creating marketing pieces
*client and vendor relations
*lead capture and management
*sales and running a profitable business
*album design and product presentation
*website development, blogging and SEO strategies
*client and project management, workflows
*social media strategies
*contracts and discussion of legal issues
*managing finances, cashflow and taxes
++ This is a 90-day unpaid position.
Working side by side with Jenny DeMarco, interns will have opportunities to attend sales meetings with prospective clients, assist with client / project management and timelines, help with creating a marketing strategic plan, designing and producing marketing pieces for the company, social media strategies, writing press releases and submitting materials for both online and print publications, blog posting, and attendance to exclusive networking events.
*Ideal for students in the following programs:
– Position is based in Austin, Texas. (Westlake area across the HEB)
– 12-15 hrs per week including weekly meetings at Westlake office
– Work in the office at least two days per week for a 3-4 hour shift (sometime between M-F 9a-6p)
– Daily email checking & response M-F.
– Responsible for 2-3 individual projects which you will own & are expected to complete before the 90-days period is up.
– Assist at least 3 weddings and 2 photo-shoots (Saturday and weekday evenings)
– Run errands as needed
– Have internet access at your residence & valid email address
– Must be proficient in Google Docs.
+Bonus points for those with WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop and Lightroom,
– Love social media? So do we! Let us know your experience with Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, Facebook, or blogging.
– Enrolled in and/or recently graduated from an accredited higher education institute & be in good academic standing with an overall GPA of 2.5+
– Have great customer service & organizational skills
– Show initiative & ability to work independently
– Must have reliable transportation (in order to attend events, client meetings and run errands).
– Dress appropriately, professionally
– Be comfortable with e-mail, phone and in-person communication
– Ability to work with little supervision and in a fast-pace environment. -You need to be comfortable and productive with a semi-informal work environment. And like dogs 😉
Once a week, we will have instruction on topics such as:
marketing a small business,
photography skills – lighting, etc, how to set up shoots, etc.
networking and relationship building
sales – making money
This isn’t the pushing paper and fetching coffee kind of internship.
We expect all our interns to leave with not only valuable work experience,
but also, a much broader knowledge base.
I honestly enjoyed being in Jenny’s presence and watching her do her thing. Even though I learned a lot from her tasks, I learned the most from watching her run her business, hearing her talk on the phone, and interact with clients, venues and other photographers.
— MARYBETH SCHMIDT
Fall 2018, Journalism major
Jenny is a phenomenal teacher because she is both knowledgeable and patient. She teaches valuable lessons not only in photography, but also how to conduct yourself professionally and market your business in a world run by technology.I most enjoyed assisting Jenny at weddings. It was really delightful to watch how Jenny interacts with her clients because she genuinely cares about their happiness and makes it her top priority to dedicate her 8 hours entirely to them.
— ADAIRE EWIN
Spring 2014, FINE ART MAJOR
Application & Resume Submission Process
Applications are accepted throughout the year. Each internship program begins as follows:
Spring Semester – Third Monday in January
Summer Semester – First Monday in June
Fall Semester – First Monday in September
To apply, please send an email or video explaining why you are applying for this internship
and why you want to learn about a small business.
Please attach a resume and do NOT send a separate cover letter (the email is fine!)
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Internship Program.