Running a Small Business in a Creative Field
90 day internship program
Jenny DeMarco Photography hires 2-3 qualified candidates each semester to be a part of her highly sought after internship program that teaches students about running a small business in a creative field. Creatives who wish to be small business entrepreneurs must have the skills to wear many hats. As the owners – we are the marketing department, the public relations firm, the accountants, the managers and most importantly – the creative team! This internship program focuses on this very important side of being in business in the creative world and the unique rewards and challenges that it has to offer. Without a solid foundation in business, even the most creative talents fail. Lets not strive to be starving artists – but artist who aim to sustain a livelihood while pursuing their creative work. Applicants do NOT need any photographic knowledge to apply, just an interest in the wedding industry, photography, creative arts, marketing or boutique businesses is all that is needed. Students receive hands-on experience in the wedding and photography industry in the following areas:
*client and project management – workflow management
*social media strategies
*contracts and discussion of legal issues
*managing business finance and taxes
*sales – running a profitable business
*album design and product presentation
*blogging and using wordpress / SEO strategies
*creating marking pieces
*client and vendor relations
*lead capture and management
…and also allows you to shadow alongside Jenny DeMarco throughout the semester.
++ This is a 90-day unpaid position.
Working side by side with Jenny DeMarco, interns will have opportunities to attend sales meetings with prospective clients, assist with client / project management and timelines, help with creating a marketing strategic plan, designing and producing marketing pieces for the company, writing press releases and submitting materials for both online and print publications, blog posting, and attendance to exclusive networking events. For photography students, projects can include photographic editing, assisting on shoots.
*Ideal for students in the following programs:
– Position is based in Austin, Texas. (south side near Mancheca and Stassney)
– 12-15 hrs per week including weekly meetings at our south Austin home office
– Work in the office at least two days per week for a 3-4 hour shift (sometime between M-F 9a-6p)
– Daily email checking & response M-F.
– Responsible for 2-3 individual projects which you will own & are expected to complete before the 90-days period is up.
– Assist at least 3 weddings and 2 photo-shoots (Saturday and weekday evenings)
– Run errands as needed
– Have internet access at your residence & valid email address
– Must be proficient in Word and Excel.
+Bonus points for those with WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop and Lightroom, Photoshop
– Love social media? So do we! Let us know your experience with Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, or blogging.
– Enrolled in and/or recently graduated from an accredited higher education institute & be in good academic standing with an overall GPA of 2.5+
– Have great customer service & organizational skills
– Show initiative & ability to work independently
– Must have reliable transportation (in order to attend events, client meetings and run errands).
– Dress appropriately, professionally
– Be comfortable with e-mail, phone and in-person communication
– Ability to work with little supervision and in a fast-pace environment. Offices are located in a dedicated home office space. You need to be comfortable and productive with a semi-informal work environment. And like dogs 😉
Once a week, we will have instruction on topics such as
marketing a small business,
photography skills – lighting, etc, how to set up shoots, etc.
networking and relationship building
sales – making money
This isn’t the pushing paper and fetching coffee kind of internship. We expect all our interns to leave with not only valuable work experience but also a much broader knowledge base.
Read from some our fantastic past interns about their experiences.
- Spring 2015
- My favorite part of this internship was participating in the large amount of client interaction. Working on the website, blog and client software sites was interesting and fun to learn, but being able to interact with the clients and see all of your work fall into place at the event was great to be apart of!
- Spring 2014
- Jenny is a phenomenal teacher because she is both knowledgeable and patient. She teaches valuable lessons not only in photography, but also how to conduct yourself professionally and market your business in a world run by technology.I most enjoyed assisting Jenny at weddings. It was really delightful to watch how Jenny interacts with her clients because she genuinely cares about their happiness and makes it her top priority to dedicate her 8 hours entirely to them.
- Spring 2014
- I did not expect to learn as much about managing sales and clients. Honestly, I felt that I learned a new skill every day I came in. This internship constantly kept me on my toes and I never felt bored with the task given out. Whether it’s marketing, excel, Photoshop, blogging, sales, InDesign, submissions, vendors, taxes, Jenny is very supportive in the sense that whatever you want to learn she will make a point to teach you, and usually teaches you more than you even asked for. She is a true teacher and I wish more professors had similar teaching philosophies.
- Fall 2014
- I had a blast at this internship, I got to learn so much and in a positive environment that allowed me to get involved and ask questions.
- Fall 2014
- When I first applying for this internship, I was thinking more about the photography and didn’t really think about the promoting the business part with the Pinterest and blogging, but I’m so glad that I learned about that because I know now how important that is when you are running your own business.
Application & Resume Submission Process
Applications are accepted throughout the year. Each internship program begins as follows:
Spring Semester – Third Monday in January
Summer Semester – First Monday in June
Fall Semester – First Monday in September
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and any portfolio samples of event work to
email@example.com with the subject line Internship Program.